Friday, January 8, 2016

Backpacking at Cagbalete



Of  low tide and tour guide

I was there to look for solitude, but I found humility, smiles and Kenneth’s diary.

            Off coast Mauban, Quezon is an island where I think I found the most courteous Filipinos. It was a solo-backpacking to Cagbelete, I had no itinerary but as I walk with Kenneth I begin to look for things to do and people to talk to next time I go back to Cagbalete. He was barefoot as he toured me to Sitio Relocation and kept on talking as I capture photos of their paradise.  He was telling stories on how he accommodated tourists before and when he noticed how delighted I was to their island, he murmured, “Ma’am, pasensya na ayan lang po ang magpipiktyuran niyo dito, marami pa po kasing kulang sa lugar namin, ‘eh.”






            I placed my camera inside my pocket and in that moment I realized he was really trying to tell me something. He talks swiftly but very descriptive about his stories, then I asked him what he wants to be: ‘news reporter’ he proudly says.  He told me he was joining news writing in Division Schools Press Conference back in Manila and reads Encyclopedia. I was buying my food for dinner as he hurried to their house and got his diary named ‘Jhoter’





Dear Jhoter,

Jhoter, I have a news for you, bad news, there’s a typhoon here in the Philippines and it entered Philippine Area of Responsibility and its name is ‘Lando.’ It moves North-West but unfortunately Jhoter I forgot how fast in kph the wind moves. As of today, its Signal No. 3 on Polilio Island and in nearby place.  Small boats are not allowed by Coast Guards to sail and even public boats for transportation. Stores are running out of stocks because they could not sail to the city due to strong waves brought by Amihan.

‘Til next time, Jhoter
#WeatherForecast
#TyphoonLando
#DeliciousJampongWithCalamansi

           I asked if could browse his diary, he nods. Surprisingly, his diary was not filled with girls name but instead I found a list pasted on a page. It was a list of facilities and equipment the island of Cagbalete needs on a perspective of a 15-year old. Kenneth was not an ordinary tour guide that brags about stunning places but rather a mindful youth about issues and development. 



         
   
Dear Jhoter,

You know Jhoter, if I will just be the Mayor in this province, my first project would be improving and developing the island of Cagbalete. A number of tourists are growing according to a survey of tourism office in Mauban and because of that we need the following.

1. Electricity
2. Transportation
3. Pier
4. Free Wifi
5. School for College level
6. Market Area
7. Police Station
8. Hospital (for emergency)
9. Highway
10. Gasoline Station
11. Grocery Items
12. New Church (Catholic only)
13. Runway for Airplane
14. Feeding program for kids
15. Gym Area
16. Barber Shop
17. Signal
18. New Basketball Court
19. ATM
20. LBC
21. Cleaning Operation Team


            It was a short yet sincere talk with Kenneth, right after taking me to the resort, he immediately left to fetch other tourists. Kenneth’s list was a bucket list for the government and community of Cagbalete to check. Before I fix my stuff, I went back to Sitio Relocation, roamed around and see the list for myself. As I take photos, people were smiling at me as if they were really glad I had come to document their community. It was 6:15 and the lights were blinking because the whole neighborhood is just sharing on generators, I remembered I have to go back and walk for a kilometer from Sitio Relocation to the resort. Transport service is just exclusive for customers of another resort and some drive around with motorcycle, there are no tricycle for public land transportation. At the altar of their well-lit chapel was a candle, only when missionaries come to the island they would celebrate mass. They have an elementary school with 4 classrooms while a 2-storey building for high school. Children are enjoying time playing rubber bands and sands and just totally chatting and laughing every single time.


 


            As if a camera is always pointing to Cagbalete, everyone always smiles back to you.

            What I learned from Cagbalete was to develop a mindset that places could change you. You don’t just take pictures, you strive to hear their voice and smell their spirit of hospitality. Kenneth was right, there’s no reason to just keep shut about the problems and issues, it has to be expressed and addressed in any manner so that a simple action could take part until change can be felt. So don’t stop on sharing your stories like the ocean tries to keep in touch with the shoreline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment